Calling all budding citizen scientists….
In partnership with Nature Festival, ACF Adelaide Community group are hosting a citizen science event.
We don’t want experts, we want you! (Although experts are of course welcome.)
Citizen science is about everyday people like you getting out in nature, observing and taking pictures of creatures/plants, and sharing your findings with the science community via citizen science apps. It contributes to data collection and helps researchers monitor what species have been spotted where. It aids the monitoring of species decline and helps track improvement. It's also fun and provides an opportunity to notice species with whom we're sharing the planet.
The aim of the afternoon is to teach you how to use the iNaturalist App so you can be a citizen scientist too.
We’ll also share interesting facts about the state of our environment and you should come away with ideas of how you can help and get involved. You’ll get the chance to be out in nature enjoying being in the moment, marveling at the wonders of nature with a friendly and helpful group of people.
What you'll need to bring
- Fully charged smart phone
- Pre-downloaded iNaturalist App: https://www.inaturalist.org/
- Wear comfortable shoes and wear weather appropriate clothing.
- Water bottle, hat and sunscreen
Prior to the event
- Have a go at using the iNaturalist App in your backyard or in your local park
- Set your privacy settings in line with your preferences.