This 3-hour small group session is designed to improve your confidence to get a bit further out on our fabulous South Australian trails. It will include a 2+ hour hike on designated trails in the park (including a section of the Adelaide100 trail), plus some time to relax in the bush and have a chat about:
- How to plan and be well prepared for a hike
- How to stay comfortable while walking
- Equipment to take with you
- Navigation and map resources
- What to do in an emergency
- Rules and guidelines about walking in parks
- The principles of Leave No Trace
- Walking SA
- Bushwalking Leadership South Australia
Meeting Point: Meet near the toilets at Foxfield Oval Reserve, Maryvale Road, Athelstone. Look for the walkingsa guide in the green hat! please aim to arrive 15mins before your departure time to ensure we all leave on time.
Fitness requirements: A moderate level of fitness is required to complete this hike. The proposed route is on grade 3 trails and includes some uneven surfaces with moderate ascents and descents. This trail is 8kms, with around 320m of ascending and descending, requires the ability to walk uphill and downhill on, at times, rough, slippery but safe paths.
Toilets: toilets at meeting point.
- Driving: There is plenty of free carparking near the meet spot, in front of the oval.
- Public Transport: The 178 bus from the paradise interchange runs past the meetspot.
Age: This event is suitable for children over 12 years of age accompanied by their adult and who are willing and able to complete a 3 hour trail hike.
What to bring:
- Completed Medical Info and Acknowledgement of Risk form
- Hiking boots / enclosed footwear
- Sun protection - hat plus sunscreen
- Wet weather protection (if rain forecast) - check the forecast
- Warm clothing for after the walk (jumper/jacket)
- Drinking water (minimum 1 litre per person)
- Walking pole/s (optional)
- Personal medication
- Hand sanitiser
The event may be cancelled in the event of a total fire ban or extreme weather, at the discretion of Walking SA.
This event is proudly supported by National Parks and Wildlife Service South Australia as part of the October Park of the Month Program.
This program is part of The Nature Festival, 2023.
TICKETS: group size limited to 12 only.
Concession card holders: please type concession in the promo code box to receive a 50% discount. Please show card to the leader on arrival.