Due to popular demand we have arranged a second Planting Masterclass in the afternoon. Adam Hancock and Jac Semmler share their practical plant-driven approach to creating abundant, dynamic gardens and landscapes. In this interactive session, they'll share fundamentals for composing plants and laying out garden beds so anyone can create a genuinely personal space packed with flowers and foliage.
What you will explore and discover
- Brainstorm ideas to develop your garden vision.
- Current garden styles and how to incorporate them in garden planning.
- Practical tools in understanding and reading plant types, how to combine them in your garden and get them to thrive.
- Keeping it real. The practicalities of creating and tending gardens.
- Learning from nature when things don't go to plan. Cultivate a flexible approach to your gardening practice.
- Simple design elements to create your unique style of garden.
- Practical experience in designing and laying out a new garden bed using examples in the Ukaria gardens.
- Opportunity to play with plants and ask more questions before returning home to tend your new ideas and plant knowledge.
Who is it for?
There will be something for anyone interested in gardening - experienced or new. The only pre-requisite is a love of plants and a desire for more in your garden.
Hosted at the beautiful Ukaria Cultural Centre. Adam is Head Gardener at Ukaria and together with the garden team and Friends of the Garden volunteer group, has been developing plantings that reflect the Centre's creativity and are in harmony with the environment. The garden now boasts over 450 different varieties of plants.
What is provided?
- Afternonn tea on arrival
- Printed listing of plants used in garden demonstrations.
- An electronic copy of the Masterclass content
What to bring?
- Notebook and pen
- A hat - the class will be held inside and outside in the Ukaria gardens.
The class size is limited to 24 people. Book soon to join the plant-filled adventure.
Adam loves plants in all their wild and wonderful variety. He believes gardening is the bridge that allows people to directly reconnect with nature, bringing a sense of well-being and joy to busy lives. He creates aesthetic combinations for productive kitchen gardens, flamboyant perennials and is particularly interested in the native wildflowers and orchids.
Adam runs a plant-focused business creating and tending a large range of gardens and landscapes. In collaboration with his clients, he loves developing new and diverse planting plans that can be maintain into the future. His extensive plant knowledge and practical experience in working with the challenges of climate and soil means that he creates vibrant and dynamic gardens.
When not gardening for other people or working on his own garden. He is often found in the bush, looking for native orchids and wildflowers. To follow his garden activities and love of dogs, instagram Adam_Hancock
Jac Semmler is foremost an experimental gardener. Her great love is planting, and the endlessly creative and complex ways plants can be brought together. Jac is delighted to join Nature Festival this year as the inaugural 'Gardener in Residence' and contributor to the community-grown installation 'Tender'.
Director of 'Super Bloom' – a creative emerging plant practice that brings dynamic living beauty and diversity to urban spaces, landscapes, creative projects and places - exploring 'gardening' is an immersive art form and 'tending' ideas across fields and industries.
Jac is known for her big laugh and is the author of the soon-to-be-released 'Super Bloom' with Thames and Hudson, a love letter to flowers. When not gardening, Jac is often found in her 'Heartland’ garden and sharing garden dreams and schemes as a regular contributor to panels, festivals, radio, podcasts, and publications, including Wonder Ground Press. For more instagram Jac.Semmler
Terms and Conditions
Please note that the masterclass needs minimum numbers to proceed. If minimum numbers aren't fulfilled then a full refund will be issued prior.
Your ticket is transferable and can be given to friends or family if you are unable to attend. Tickets are non-refundable except in extreme circumstances on a case by case basis.
Ukaria COVID-19-Specific Conditions of Entry